Pekingese Scoop: Dangerous foods for dogs


Have you ever wondered what the dangerous foods for dogs are? What people foods that can possibly kill your beloved pet? The kitchen is your dog’s (pekingese or not) favorite playground. They explore with their mouth, thus it is every owner’s responsibility to keep their kitchen pantry secured and “dog proof.” Experts and professionals warns the public that feeding your dogs of table scaps can only bring obesity and toxicity to your pooch. However, we can always prepare a healthy and well-balanced meal for them using our food. It is very important for us to know wich foods should and shouldn’t be given to them. Get to know the foods to avoid so that you can veer away from poisoning and keep your dog healthy.

Pekingese Scoop: Dangerous foods for dogs

Dangerous foods for dogs

Some foods which are edible for humans, and even other species of animals, can pose hazards for dogs because of their different metabolism. Some may cause only mild digestive upsets, whereas, others can cause severe illness, and even death. The following common food items should not be fed (intentionally or unintentionally) to dogs. This list is, of course, incomplete because we can not possibly list everything your dog should not eat.

Source: Pet Education, by Drs. Foster & Smith

What Pekingese (and other dogs) can’t eat:

Avocados – It doesn’t matter how good guacamole is for us, you shouldn’t give it to your pekingese. It contains persin, which is harmless to humans but proved to be toxic for dogs. If you happen to have an avocado tree at home, keep your pet away from the plant. Persin is found in the bark, seed, leaves and fruit itself.

Alcoholic beverages – Wine, liquor, beer, and foods that contain alcohol – is a big ‘NO’ for your dog. The alcohol takes the same effect on a dog’s brain and liver as it does on humans. Just a little dose of this and it can cause diarrhea, vomiting, CNS depression, coma, breathing isseus, and even death. The smaller the dog, the bigger is the impact.

Garlic and Onions – Garlic and onions is all forms: dehydrated, raw, cooked, or powdered – can kill a dog’s RBC (red blood cells) leading to anemia. An occasional small amount is okay but letting them eat big quantities at once or eating smaller servings on a regular basis proves to be poisonous.

Tea, Coffee or other caffeine – Caffeine is fatal for the dogs and there is no antidote for it. Take note that caffeine can also be found in medications (pain killers), colas, and stimulant drinks (lipovitan, red bull, etc…)

Raisins and Grapes – Some handlers and owners use grapes and raisins as treats, but that is one fatal idea! Although it isn’t yet clear on why or how but one thing is certain: it causes kidney failure in dogs.

Ice cream, milk and other dairy products – On a warm, humid summer day it is quite tempting to share your ice cream cone to your pekingese. However, you should not as it can cause digestive upset and allergy which os usually manifested by itchiness.

Macadamia Nuts – Dogs shouldn’t be given macadamia nuts or other foods that has it. It can cause poisoning. Chocolate with macadamia nuts is the deadliest combo, it can lead to death.

Gum and Candies – Gum, toothpaste, baked products, diet foods, and candies are sweetened by xylitol. Xylitol can increase the insulin that is circulating in your dog’s body. Thus causing your dog’s blood sugar to drop can cause liver failuer as well. Liver failure in dogs can occur in days only.

Chocolate – Majority of the public today is already aware that chocolate is fatal for our four-legged friend. The substance that is toxic for them is theobromine.

Bones and Fat trimmings – Table scraps are usually comporsed of bones and meat fat that we didn’t eat. Both “goodies” are bad for them, it causes pancreatitis.

Plums, Persinmmons and Peaches – The issue of these foods are their pits or seeds. The seeds from the persimmons can cause inflmmation on the dog’s small intestine. Another thing aside from obstruction hazard is the fact that these seeds contains cyanide which is dangerous to both dogs and humans.

Raw eggs – There are 2 issues with giving them raw eggs: food poisoning due to e.coli or salmonella bacterias and the interferance of vitamin B absorption.

Salt – Chips and pretzels are not to share with your dog. It leads to sodium ion poisoning, so you better keep those chips to yourself!

What dogs can eat:

Lean Meat – Remove all visible fat and see to it that it is cooked thoroughly and that there are no bones in it.

Fresh Fruits – Pieces of watermelon, banana, oranges and apple are good treats for you pekingese. Make sure that you have removed all the seeds first before giving it to him.

Fresh Vegetables – Carrot sticks, cucumber slices, zucchini slices or green beans are good for them. Even a plain baked potato is also healthy just don’t give him raw potatoes.

Cooked pasta and white rice – Cooked white rice and pasta can be an enjoyable meal for dogs. A serving of white rice with boiled chicken can provide relief from stomach upset.

There you have it, the dangerous foods for dogs as well as the ones which are also good to them. Every owner should keep tabs on what their pet is ingesting and making their kitchen pantry dog-proof. There are lots of human foods out there which are fatal for our beloved pets, so one must be vigilant to avoid any hazard.

Was this post helpful to you? If so, don’t be shy to leave words behind.  Also, you can spread the word to fellow dog lovers via sharing this post.



Get Your FREE e-book:

“Caring for a Pekingese"

Chocolate Toxicity in dogs – Never give your Pekingese a chocolate!

Chocolate Toxicity in dogs – Never give your Peke a chocolate!

Chocolate toxicity in dogs is the leading cause of morbidity and mortality. Us, humans tend to share our food with our pets especially if we treat them more like a family member than a pet.

Our pets, or animals in general have “sweet tooth.” While studies show that chocolates may be of some beneficial health to us, humans, it proves otherwise for the animals. It is even fatal for them. Dogs have the highest incidence rate of this poisoning due to their keen sense of smell and the unsuspecting and unknowledgeable owner giving him some.

Chocolate came from the cacao tree and its main compound is Theobromine which is toxic. There is also caffeine present in chocolate but is smaller amounts though. Both the caffeine and theobromine are under the drug class Methylxanines.

Chocolate Toxicity in dogs

What Makes Chocolate Poisonous to Dogs?

Chocolate is made from cocoa, and cocoa beans contain caffeine and a related chemical compound called theobromine, which is the real danger.

The problem is that dogs metabolize theobromine much more slowly than humans, Denver veterinarian Kevin Fitzgerald, PhD, tells WebMD.

Source: WebMD, by Salynn Boyles

Methylxanines’ effect on humans:

  • Nausea and vomiting
  • Cardiovascular stimulant
  • Mild BP increase
  • CNS stimulant

Why is it not toxic to humans?

The human system is capable of breaking down and excrete Theobromine much more effectively than dogs.

Are there chocolates that are more toxic than others?

Absolutely. The unsweetened chocolate has 8-10x more Theobromine than the milk chocolate has. The semi-sweet chocolate somehow falls between the two. White chocolate on the other hand has little Theobromine that is unlikely to poison your Pekingese.

Theobromine level guide:

  • Cocoa bean mulch – 225 mg/oz
  • Milk chocolate – 44-64mg Theobromine per ounce chocolate
  • White chocolate contains insignificant amount of methylxanines
  • Dry cocoa powder – 800mg/oz
  • Unsweetened (baker’s) chocolate – 450 mg/oz

And that is the chocolate toxicity in dogs. Now, you know why chocolate is bad for your Pekingese and there is no reason or whatsoever for you to indulge you Peke in a chocolate treat! It doesn’t matter if he loves its sweet taste, what matters is that you look out after your Peke’s health and welfare.

Know any more foods that are toxic to dogs? Share with us so that we may also know. Like how the old addage goes, knowledge is power. Feel free to leave your piece of advice below.


comments_template( '', true );