So, you want to know what is the average Pekingese life span? This elite breed has a median life expectancy of 11.4 years according to the UK Kennel Club.
The leading cause of death for the Pekingese, just like any other toy breeds is trauma. If we will categorize it per organ systems, on the top of the list is cardiovascular and neurologic issues (ex: CHF [congestive heart failure]). Such a disease could be easily treated with proper medication if diagnosed early. There are lots of Pekingese out there who has this issue but was able to pull it off and lived for many, many years. A heart murmur is a sign of an issue and must be eveluated by a vet immediately.
The other main concern for this breed are the breathing and eye issues due to their very small skull and flat face. Skin allergies is also an issue for them as well. The very common problem are eye ulcers 9which starts almost at any time), dry eyes and progressive retinal atrophy.
Your pekingese shouldn’t be allowed to stay outside, having a flat nose and face can cause breathing problems thus making it difficult for them to regulate their body temperature. Having said that, they are very prone to heat stroke. Their long body make them very susceptible to back problems. As an owner, you should be careful in picking them up; give his back full support (one hand under the chest while the other under the abdomen). Having short legs, the pekingese also has some difficulty when it comes to stairs; older pekes would require some assistance in going up and down the stairs.
Pekingese Life Span
The average life expectancy of the Pekingese dog breed is between 10 and 15 years, but there is increased health risks associated with the breed which pet owners should be aware of. The leading cause of death for Pekingese dogs, as for many other toy breeds, is congestive heart failure. When diagnosed early and treated with the proper medication, a Peke with this condition can expect to live many years.
More Pekingese Fun Facts:
- Description: An ancient Chinese toy breed having a flat face, nose and long silky coats.
- Average Pekingese weight: 8-14 lbs.
- Average Pekingese height: 6-9 inches (up to the shoulder)
- Coat and colors: Their coat is usually long, straight, coarse and comes in various colors.
- Vet visit: A pekingese is estimated to have 85% vet visit in a year.
- Average cost: for a medium sized dog over a 10 year period is over $13,000. This would give you a fairly good idea on how much it would cost to raise a Pekingese.
- Symbolism: They are linked as the sacred symbol of Buddha.
- Age: After 1 year, they are considered as adults. This is equivalent to 16 human years!
- Other nicknames: Pekes Lion dog, Peking Palasthund.
- Pekingese are also known as ‘sleevedogs’ since they were often seen inside the sleeves of the emperors way back before.
Now, you are already knowledgeable on the average pekingese life span. As an owner you can help them live a happy, fun-filled, long years with you or a very brief moment only. You can help them attain longevity by taking good care of him and making sure that your pekingese is getting everything that his body needs. On the other hand, if you are an irresponsible owner, you already know where that path would lead you. I would say, you will have your pekingese 1 year tops. It is all up to you now.
Did you find my post informative and helpful? Don’t forget to leave your messages behind.